Apr 16, 2011

I Am Number Four

Under normal circumstances, I would never watch a film of this kind. However, I'm experiencing some sort of a filmophile's mental void. There's a huge drought when it comes to quality films and that has a huge impact on me.

So, I sat down in order to fill that void with something. Even if that something was prematurely and prejudicially written off as a dumb teen movie with aliens.

I'm glad to say that it was... Well, surprising and satisfactory, actually. No, seriously - it was quite original. You have two warring alien races. One close to extinction through ruthless hunting, and the other one which, naturally, does the hunting. All of this amidst us humans, under our very noses. All in all, the story revolves around our protagonist, the member of the hunted race, while he copes with his strict daily routines and a dysfunctional youth. And, although I had a problem with it, the teen aspect was just an addition for diversity. The setting could have been a lot of things, it didn't really interfere with the story too much.

Also, this is a D.J. Caruso film and, to my knowledge, he had a couple of great films. Two with Shia LaBeouf, nonetheless. That just goes to show how good of a director he is, if you know what I mean.

So, if you're like me - writing stuff off immediately after seeing the poster, you might consider changing yourself a bit.

Once again, this film really was a pleasant surprise. 7 out of 10.