May 1, 2011

Insidious

Horror movies... When was the last time you got frightened by one? I can't remember either. And that's just one of the reasons why I don't watch them. They have lame stories, usually shitty acting, lack the atmosphere needed and aren't scary.

However, I noticed two names from the cast and decided to give it a go. Those were Lin Shaye and Patrick Wilson. I like those two. They're like your all-around regular folks, but they nail their parts when it comes to acting.

The story here was, to put it mildly, very innovative. And what I loved about it is that it always kept you guessing. Is it this, is it that? Only to reveal it fully toward the end, where the focus was finally transferred to the last struggle for the previous and somewhat of a normal life.

However, to be honest, there was a lot less atmosphere in the beginning, so you had to follow the story in order to get pulled into the film. Also, I don't understand the urge for throwing unneeded humour into a film that is based on the world of dark fantasy. I just don't get it. Anyway, in the end, it finally provides what I've been craving - one hell of a gloomy segment.

The acting wasn't bad either, but since there were no fucked up characters, you will have to settle with good ol' "trying to get through life" family people.

All in all, it's a well written horror thriller which should quite successfully keep you satisfied even when it's over.

7 out of 10.