Apr 28, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods...

...Or as I renamed it: "What the hell did I just watch?". Seriously, I don't know what I just saw. It certainly is unique. I'm pretty sure the idea for it started out as a parody to all hack&slash teen horror flicks, but someone along the way saw it as profitable and decided to turn the whole thing around. And since the creators have been dragging the release date for three years, anything is possible.

It's almost next to impossible to write a comprehensive review about this movie without, even unintentionally, revealing some crucial part of the story, plot or whatever you might call it. It's that original, trust me. But, what I can write about is the film's genre or absence thereof. It starts like any teen fright flick with panties, super-duper friends and a couple of bad jokes. But then you start getting glimpses of these weird out of place scenes giving you just a hint that there is more underneath. And there is a lot. But, I'm going to have to stop right there. It's horror, it's parody, it's mystery, it's fantasy. But, quite possibly, a blend like you've never seen before.

That's it. Oh, and it's one of those movies that if you watch it alone, you'll have to re-watch it with as many people as possible just to see their reactions. I know I will.

8 out of 10.

Also, Sigourney Weaver.