Apr 27, 2012

Contraband passes customs.

If anyone's still reading our little therapy hate-flicking scribbles, we know we've gotten lazy. But, let's be honest, there really isn't much to write about. Everything is on the down-low, and we've been fed with regurgitated stories with acting value in heavy decline. What we're really waiting for are the summer blockbusters. Come to think of it, everyone is.

However, sometimes and somehow, something manages to get through the filth and the excretion of pre-summer movie madness. This was such a case, as you might have suspected. Basically, the film is about a retired smuggling genius gone legit. Naturally, he gets forcibly pulled into another/last job by a retarded relative. You know how it goes... And that's about it, the magic starts there. It may seem as not that much, but the element of drama was successfully added and there are more than enough smuggling tricks shown to keep you interested.

The cast was also to my liking, comprised of Mark Wahlberg, Kate Beckinsale, the amazing Ben Foster, the great Giovanni Ribisi, fucking macho David O'Hara and the legend that is J.K. Simmons. They all just managed to click and surpass themselves in a way that you (actually I) don't have the urge to think of their previous roles or their private lives, chioces, etc. I had no room for any kind of hate bashing whatsoever. I don't know was it me or something I ate, but I was truly mesmerized.

So, in all honesty and in the name of objectivity, it's a seven. However, as I'm feeling rather generous and I loved the cast, I'm giving it 8 out of 10. Not the most solid eight out there, but an eight nevertheless.